Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Medicalst Medicalst is offline

Default Word crashes when I try to mail merge using Outlook recipients

If I am in contacts and select say a couple of contacts, I click Tools Mail
merge and get the mail merge contacts screen. In this screen I select 'Only
selected contacts' and 'new document' and click OK. Nothing happens. The
window remains and nothing else appears.

If in Word and selecting mail merge I am asked if I want to select
recipients from Outlook Contacts. If I select this option and click browse
to find the relevant outlook location, word crashes - i do not get an
opportunity to select individual contacts.

I am using windows XP.

Thanks

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

I have tried to start in Outloook at select recipients there and then
click
mail merge in Outlook but on clicking nothing happens and everything
freezes.

Can you confirm/deny that when you "select recipients" you are opening an
Outlook Contacts folder and selecting one or more contacts, then clicking
Outlook Tools|Mail Merge... ? (I only ask because there may be other ways to
"select recipients" - perhaps as an experiment you could just open your
contacts, then try clicking Tools|Mail Merge...)

Does Outlook freeze as soon as you click the Tools|Mail merge... option? For
example, do you ever see a dialog box titled "Mail Merge Contacts" ? Or does
Outlook freeze at a later stage?

(also, which version of Windows?)

Peter Jamieson

"Medicalst" wrote in message
When I try to create a mail merge letter in word, and try to select
recipiuents from an Outlook folder, word crashes.

In the wizard when I get the 'select recipients' pane I click 'select from
outlook contacts'. When I then click browse everything freezes and
eventally
word closes and I'm asked to send an error report.

I have tried to start in Outloook at select recipients there and then
click
mail merge in Outlook but on clicking nothing happens and everything
freezes.

I am using Word and Outlook 2003 on laptop connected to home network
comprising one other machine.