Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default what to do when numbering style dropdown doesn't have what you nee

Check the box for "Legal style numbering."

http://word.mvps.org

"rickray1" wrote in message
I've got an outline scheme where my first level is ARTICLE I - roman
numeral
for the 1st level - level two needs to be 1.1, 1.2, etc. - but when I
click
previous level number it inserts a roman numeral; I need it non-roman
number
in level 2; in general, I'm wondering how I can insert characters WHICH
UPDATE in a numbering scheme, when they are not offered in the numbering
style dropdown menu - let's say they offer .01, .02 - and I want .1, .2 -
how
do I get the control to create the characters I need to update - right now
without using "previous level", I'm just getting the 1 updating character,
the ".1" - I want to insert an updating character in front of it, a 1 - so
that when I go to Article II, it will be 2.1, 2.2 - without having to
manually insert the 2 - I heard someone say this is "building" a level -
but
I don't see any info on it - much appreciated for info on how to do this -
doesn't seem like it should be hard, but I can't seem to figure out how -
thank you.