Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Reference Fields Are Not Auto Populatinng

To repeat data from a field in the header (or footer), make use of a
STYLEREF field instead. See http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/StyleRef.htm#FormField.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Dawn Reid" wrote in message
news

I created a user form out of a 21 page document. The "reference fields"
that link to the form fields are in the header, since Word does not like
form fields to be directly in the header. Users will enter the data on
the first page of the form and the reference fields "should"
automatically update. However, after I enter the test data, the ref
fields do not automatically populate. I have to open the Header/Footer,
select the ref fields, then select F9. This will not be productive for
the end user.

I tried to "record a macro" that would automatically select and update
the fields. But, Word doesn't like that too much. My other
alternative is to remove the reference fields out of the header and put
them in the main document, however, instead of having 2-3 headers to
update in the appropriate sections, I now have to have this header
(table with fields) on each page. However, before I do that, I wanted
to know if anyone had any other ideas? How can I create a macro, code
or "user-friendly" process where the ref fields will automaticlally
update in the header, or at least make it easier to update those fields
since I can't seem to record a macro to do it for me? Thoughts???

--
Dawn Reid