Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Outlining/Creating a TOC from a multilevel list

Note that it will be confusing for readers when some items are missing from
the TOC, for example, if 2.1 and 2.3 is in the TOC, but not 2.2. However,
you can do this, but it will require some extra work. I can think of two
different methods.

Method 1: Apply numbering with styles. This will make it possible to change
the outline level (via References tab | Add Text) without applying a
built-in heading style. Make sure to set up numbered *non-headings* via Home
tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. The dialog box is
similar to the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog in Word 2003; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

Obviously, this isn't the best approach, since using direct formatting
defeats the purpose of styles.

Method 2: Create numbering using the built-in heading styles, but also
create a series of styles based on the heading styles (create one for each
numbering level that you want to "duplicate"), making sure to set their
outline level to "Body Text." The latter styles will then share the heading
numbering, but they won't appear in the table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Wendy" wrote in message
In 2003 I was able to take items from a multilevel list and add them to a
table of contents without changing the look/style of the item(s) in the
list.
In 2007, if I change the "outline level" it automatically applies a style
it, changing the format and removing my list numbering. How do I keep my
list as a list but add TOC levels to it AND ensure that it still works in
older versions of Word?

Alternatively...

How do I create a custom style in 2007 that:
-Uses an automated numbering system of 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1, etc
-Contains outlineing levels that I can adjust per line item (eg, I might
want 1.1 to appear in the TOC but not 2.1)
-Will function the same way in 2003, as 2003 users will need to
periodically
add/change new headers, levels and update the TOC

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer