Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Default Drawing a Half-Circle and Half-Ellipse (Word 2003)?

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
The arc is the way to go. To help you draw an exact half, draw a straight
line first. Start at the line and draw an arc (which is one-quarter of an
ellipse or, pressing Shift, circle), then drag the "free" yellow diamond to
the line. You don't need to use the white circles to size the object or the
green one to rotate; the size and rotation can be entered directly on the
Size tab of the Format AutoShape dialog.

I drew a horizontal line about 2" long. I then used Shift-Arc and placed the
crosshair on the left end of the line, and moved across to the right end,
where I released it. That drew a slopping arc rising upward to the right. It
looks like it's about 1/4 of something close to an arc of a circle, but not
really a circle. I then dragged the left yellow diamond down to the left end
of the line and released the cursor. That caused the arc to be similar but
about 2/3rds the length as before. I then tried this again, and brought the
left diamond to the right end of the line, and got a large ellipse.

Isn't either end of the arc free?