Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Office:mac 2004 Word: Outline Number Problem

In general, you'll need to go in through Level 1 and clean things up; see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html for more.
Also, be aware that for Mac-specific issues (which I suspect this is not),
you can access a Word:mac NG at
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...ac.office.word (using a
newsreader, as you appear to be) or Mac NGs generally (via the Web) at
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/communi...pid=newsgroups

"Johnny" wrote in message
I created a report and have a Section numbered as follows:

"5.2.1 Types of Control Systems" This is a level 3 heading.

I want to create subsections, i.e., a level 4 heading, under this
section of the report as follows:

"5.2.1.1 Post-Combustion
"5.2.1.2 Carbon Dioxide Controls"

I place the cursor on "5.2.1" to highlight this outline number and
then hit the indent tab to get the next lower level outline number.
When I do this, I get the number "1". When I hit the indent again I
get "5.2.1.1", which is the level 4 heading I want.

Here is the problem.

I cannot get the next after level 3, i.e., the level 4 heading, i.e.
"5.2.1.2". When I double click on "5.2.1.1" to highlight it, then go
to "bullets and numbering", then "customize", which opens the
"Customize outline numbered list" dialogue box, this level 4 heading
shows up as a level 5 heading.

In the Preview pane of the "Customize outline numbered list" dialogue
box, here is what I see in the Preview pane:

5 Heading 1
5.2 Heading 2
5.2.1 Heading 3
1 Heading 4
15.2.7.1 Heading 5

I do not see a proper Heading 4, and I cannot create a level heading
in the Customize outline numbered list dialogue box.

Any advice? Thanks.

Johnny