Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Geodesic Geodesic is offline

Default Word07 Outline won't properly number

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Many posts ago, I told you to select the 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering that showed
Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. I thought you had done that, and that's why I
said the numbering was linked to the heading styles by default. The lists
that are linked to (no style) are not meant to be left that way; you link
them to whatever styles you want to use for the list, such as the List
Number sequence (but those would not work in Outline view, I think).

This is just getting nowhere.

Actually "Suzanne S. Barnhill, MVP" didn't say that. Let's take a look:
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote: 2/11/2010 11:07 PM PST
Click on the Multilevel list button and then on the illustration that shows
1, 1.1, 1.1.1 linked to Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc. *Then* click
Define New Multilevel List, which will open the dialog with that list
template selected.

This assumes that the link was already there, and you made no indication
that many 'outlines' are *by default* not linked! In fact you now seem to
say this is a virtue, and not a problem.

It is like you have now realized that the outlines levels are by default not
necessarily connected to styles and you are going back to rewrite this
thread's history. I kept asking about the defaults and have been complaining
the MS won't even put them on their site, or that interested MVPs won't put
them on some auxiliary site. Having outlines broken *by default* means they
need to be 'programmed' even the first time in order to work, a situation
that seems to favor having to pay for MVP's, or those who have the time to
get at the core of de facto programming Word.

If the average person searches the 'help' system, or visits the MS website
to ask about multi-level outlines, they are directed to making 'multi-level
lists.' Multilevel lists use the 'normal' style all the time, despite using a
numbering and indent system. These multilevel lists look like multilevel
outlines, look like the most default outline of MS OneNote, but they cannot,
for example, hide children elements, as a basic OneNote outline can (by
default).

As I quoted in the last note, you said,
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote: 2/11/2010 11:07 PM PST
Click More to expand the dialog, and you will see that the levels are linked to the built-in heading styles by default.

'By default'. Now you are saying many of these outlines have levels that
are in fact **not** linked to these built-in headers by default.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote: 2/12/2010 1:37 PM PST
If you apply the 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 numbering to the built-in heading styles,

then the heading styles will be numbered as you prefer (including indents).

But in fact you are now saying that they aren't linked to built in headings!
Further, the Shauna Kelly document has one making all kinds of changes to
the Heading Styles, but with a focus on Word 2003 and earlier. If one starts
fiddling around with Headings as Kelly advises, then they will now longer
have 'built in' values, and since one cannot automatically go back to some
sort of 'default value' and the default values aren't listed anywhere (at
least that is what I asked for, and never got a response), then one might
have broken the outline system.

All this simply to create the most simple multi-level outlines in Word 2007.

So if I am to tell college students to use such outlines, MS believes that
they are going to have to also learn to program their outlines, make new
outline links, redesign the headings, etc. ... as preliminaries?

Now I asked:
how to set up new defaults, to link all the multilevel outline elements to
the corresponding multilevel headings, and I have gotten the run-around, and
am even being attacked as being inattentive. Stefan Blom, MVP suggested that
I should tell college students to create document templates for the most
basic outlines they want to write, but I promise you they don't always know
what kind of document they are creating as they write their papers and
outline information. And what happens if they want to change their outline
type/style in the middle of the document?

So how to get rid of these broken outline formats in MS's Multilevel list's
'List Library' and replace them with new formats that work. Interestingly, if
one works to the 'define a new multilevel list' dialog and tries to link,
say, level 3 with heading 3, and one highlights level 3 as the level to
modify, and starts with the default '(no style)' at the top of the 'link
level to style' list, and then logically scrolls down through heading 1,
heading 1 to heading 3, the Word Software deletes the existing links between
the 'list' and the heading format as one scrolls down. I guess the idea is
that one isn't allowed to have the same 'heading' format to be assigned with
different levels in the 'multilevel list'. Meaning as one scrolls down with
level 3 highlighted of the left, running from 'no style', normal, heading 1,
heading 2, to 'heading3' then other levels that have heading 1 will now lose
it (so no conflict), and so on. So it's no fun to have the built in default
to be 'no style' as default. [so scroll via the scroll bar, not through the
selections].

So after one comes up with a new style, after makeing the links, one saves
the document, opens a new blank document, and tries to invoke the new list
style one created via the 'define new list style' option... and the list
style one created is not there. Instead we still see the broken versions that
MS supplies.

So the question remains, how to change the defaults of everything in the
library so that level 1 is linked to heading 1, level 2 is linked to heading
2, level 3 is linked to heading 3, and so on. And once and for all, so one
doesn't have to keep programming in the links.