Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Attaching a template to a document

You appear to be confused about documents and templates.

Templates (extension dot in versions up to Word 2003) contain layouts and
static text and are used to create new documents. Documents (extension doc)
created from templates hold the characteristics of the templates they are
created from. You don't need to attach templates to existing documents.

You can insert or paste text into an existing document or a new document .

Kate wrote:
The thing I've been doing is *open* an existing file and then
attaching the template I made. I guess I have to create a new doc
with my template and then import the file I want to work on? It's
easier to just attach the template every time. Thanks everybody.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It will only attach 'normal.dot' if the document is created from
normal.dot. The functions and facilities of normal.dot on the
current PC are present for every document - unless over-ridden by
the document template from which the document was created. No
'attaching' of templates should be involved anywhere in this process.

Harvey wrote:
when you click on file\new and you get the templates dialogbox make
sure to pick create new document and not a template. If you create
a new template based onaa template and then save it as a document,
word it will attach normal.dot to the document.

It's a template I created, and it's located with the other
templates I get when I open a new document from a template. Does
that make sense? In other words, I think it's in the right place.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are creating a document based on a specific template and
reopening it on a machine where that template is present (and in
the expected location), I can't imagine that you would have to
reattach it. Are you using a template on a network?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"Kate" wrote in message
I have different templates that I use for different documents, so
I don't want to attach it to the normal template. But I find that
each time I open a document I have to go through the steps of
attaching the template. Why isn't it permanently attached to the
document, or is there something I missed?