Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Default how can i find how many dpi a figure is?

Chris F wrote:
I have a research paper and in order to be able to submit it to a
journal, the figures and the pictures that i used in the paper have
to be at least 1000dpi. how can i find how many dpi my figures and
pictures are?

AFAIK you can't, from Word, at least. You would hvae to look at the graphic
in an editing application and check the resolution there. In digital camera
lingo, a 2 megapixel or higher camera will create graphics of that caliber;
a 1 megapixel would not.

Caveats:
-- You might want to check on this with the powers that be, but ... to
prevent the image from suffering resolution changes, you should LINK to the
images from Word as opposed to embedding the pictures into Word. Else Word
can change the res on you. The printer will have requirements for which
he'll accept. At any rate, be certain to NOT let Word optimize the images
if you embed them.

-- Irfanview is a freebie image editor that will let you see the
resolution.

-- Do not confuse ppi (pixels per inch) with dpi. Pixels and dots are two
entirely different concepts, one for the screen, the other for the printers.
DPI is consistant from printer to printer but PPI, which a printer doesn't
use, is completely variable on-screen and has no set size unless it's
interpolated for a particular printer.

HTH
Pop`