Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
steph steph is offline

Default Windows 7: making Word 2007 default program for .doc files

Hey guys,
Whenever I try to open .doc files, it uses "WordPad" (the word processing
program that came with Windows7) to open the files & sometimes it's
unreadable with weird symbols. I used to just right click on the file & do
"open with.." & choose the "Windows Office Word Viewer 2003" for files that
don't look right (weird symbols) in WordPad...

I just bought & installed Office2007 on my computer which is using Windows
7. Now that I have Word 2007, I want to make it the default program for .doc
files so I don't have to manually choose "open with" every time.

I tried doing the Control Panel Programs Default Programs Set
association

I'm pretty sure this is where I need to do the changing. However when I try
changing the program for .doc files (which is associated with WordPad like I
said), I don't see Word 2007 as an option. When I go to browse, I can't find
the Word 2007 program. I found a winword.exe in the Office 2007 folder, but
it doesn't work properly when I tried opening a document. Any help would be
appreciated!!