Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 Equation Editor: Permutations, Combinations?

Hi Frager,

Alt= (Alt + equal sign) is the keyboard shortcut equivalent to Insert=Equation=Insert New Equation.

A hairspace is one of the predefined Math Autocorrect (shorthand) entries for Word 2007 (Alt, T, A) - Math Autocorrect.

When you're in an equation you can type \hairsp
as shorthand for a hairspace or \zwsp for a zerowidth space.

There's a list you can print out in Word help under the topic of 'math autocorrect'

In the original example the poster, Coily, asked how to write
formatting Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr)

To insert a new equation use
Alt=

To type the Combination above within the Equation Editor Mathzone so that you have a result of:

n subscript
C as plain (not italicized) text
r as superscript

typethe following in a math zone

Alt= (to create a new, empty equation)

\zwsp (to enter a zero width space)

space (this one is optional since the next char is punctuation)

_ (an underscore. This starts a subscript string)

space

"C" (put the C in quotes)

space

^ (above the 6 on the regular keyboard, starts a subscript string)

space

For a couple of quick video step by step examples of writing equations in linear format mode click on either the 'exponents and fractions' or 'integral' links on
http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_offi...Word-2007.aspx

For a link to the PDF file that covers what you can type check
http://blogs.msdn.com/murrays/archiv...06/742274.aspx
(they hyperlink under "here" in the first blog entry.

===============
"Frager" wrote in message ...

I have read with interest your question re notation for permutations
and combinations.
I have 2 questions:

1. In Word 2007 how do I insert a hair space? I don't understand what
I read about U +200A etc.

2. Is it possible to superscript n and subscript r.

I did manage by accident to get 2Cr with the 2 superscripted and the r
subscripted, but couldn't repeat the feat.

Your use of Alt seems different to what I read about superscripting
and subscripting.

Thanks

Frager

Thanks