Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Default Text Box - Layout in Table Cell

First of all you seem to be laboring under some misconceptions, so let me
try to clarify them;

1- Lock Anchor doesn't provide the ability to "move things freely" - if
anything, it limits it. The setting pertains to the *anchor* not the object.
Objects can be moved freely if Text Wrapping is set to anything other than
In Line with Text regardless of the Anchor setting, but they are anchored to
a paragraph. That anchor can be moved to a different paragraph if there is
no check in the box. If the box is checked the anchor can't be moved but the
object can be positioned anywhere on the same 'page' as the paragraph to
which it is anchored.

2- Layout in Table Cell has no effect if there is no table and is the
default setting for objects. If the object is even partially positioned on a
table it will 'force' its way into the nearest cell - not allowed to overlap
a cell divider. With the setting OFF the object *is* allowed to span 2 or
more cells if the Text Wrapping is set to In Front of or Behind Text & the
setting will stay in place if you move the object. If any other Text
Wrapping is applied the check will automatically restore when the object is
moved.

Although an annoyance, the moving of the objects isn't as random as it seems
once you understand the mechanics of how Word deals with the 'foreign
bodies' stuck in its text flow. If you intend to wrestle with Word's awkward
attempt to permit the use of graphics you might want to read through teh
material available at;

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm

But as long as you continue to revise a doc after inserting objects you'll
have to learn to cope with the "jumping around".
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"TJ" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 -- all of a sudden text boxes in all of my documents now
have
"Layout in Table Cell" checked. I have always had only Lock Anchor
checked
which allows me to move things freely. When I un-check the "Table Cell"
box,
I move the box, open Formatting and it is checked again. The text boxes
now
jump around and move graphics in seemingly random ways. (the boxes are
not
in a table - this is happening even on pages with no tables)
--
TJ