Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elbert Elbert is offline

Default Equation line numbers

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have known intuitively that the
version number is a resource. Sorry to be cranky, but I've wasted days trying
to figure out how to do things with Word 2007 that I could do with 2003.
e.g., I had carefully customized my toolbars for 2003 so I could be very
productive. Gone. I had spent hours and hours developing macros that saved me
a great deal of time. Gone. And I was sure I'd love the ribbons, but I don't.

Which item are you referring to in this case as a 'bug'? Word 2007 has its own internal Equation Editor as well as the optional installation of the prior version Equation Editor. Neither of these equation editors is very useful for somebody who enters a lot of equations, so I use MathType (you may recall that Word 2003 admitted that the equation editor wasn't very good and suggested an upgrade to MathType.)

I insert a MathType equation and then in Word I do References/Insert
caption/Equation. If I insert the caption below the equation, then later when
I do References/Cross reference/Equation 1, the cross reference is just
"Equation 1" as it should be.

If instead I put the caption to the right of the equation (which is where I
want it and I suspect most people want it), then when I do References/Cross
reference/Equation 1, I get as the cross reference the equation plus the
caption, which is a real mess.

I followed the suggestion about using a table, and it works OK, but it's
awkward and in my opinion shouldn't be necessary--a bug.

I have no idea what "linked styles" are, and I hope to God I never have to
figure it out in order to do something that should be simple. I'm trying to
get some work done here.

Thanks again,

Elbert

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Elbert,

In Word 2007 you can get to the version number through Word Options in the 'Resources' dialog
(Alt, T, O, R) or (Alt, F, I, R)

The old HelpAbout dialog is still available, but doesn't have a keyboard shortcut and the old Word 2003 one ( Alt, H, A) doesn't
work in Word 2007.

You can get to the old dialog through (a) the 'About' button in Resources (via the above route);
(b) by using View=Macros=View Macros,
selecting 'Word Commands' for 'Macros in:' at the bottom of the dialog
and running the 'HelpAbout' command or
(c) by adding a keyboard shortcut in
Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Customize Keyboard
and select All commands then 'HelpAbout'

Which item are you referring to in this case as a 'bug'? Word 2007 has its own internal Equation Editor as well as the optional
installation of the prior version Equation Editor. You can use 'linked styles' in Word to have the Equation caption and Equation
on the same line, although it's usually cleaner to use the two column table approach Suzanne mentioned.

"Elbert" wrote in message ...
I hope eventually Microsoft will fix this bug, which they have not done in the latest version of Word 2007. (I'd tell you exactly
what version I have, but with the wonderful new user interface, I can't figure out how to look up what it is. Whatever became of
help/about?)
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP