Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elbert Elbert is offline

Default Equation line numbers

Bob,

Thanks for the help. I did not have a MathType ribbon. I re-installed
MathType, and now I do. Who understands these things?

When I select Right Numbered, MathType centers the equation and puts a
number such as (1.2) at the right of the line. I often write chapters of
manuals, and want to be consistent with the format used by those who write
other chapters. Our organization's standard is to indent the equation 1/2"
from the left, and number the equations on the right as "Equation 1" Equation
2" etc., without chapter or section numbers. (A document I write might be
chapter 3 in one manual and chapter 7 in another manual, so we just dispensed
with chapter/section numbers and number the equations beginning with 1 in
each chapter.) Also, I've written hundreds of pages with equations aligned
and numbered that way, and I'd like to be able to modify those documents with
consistent alignment and numbering.

You say "You can format the numbers however you want" but I can't figure out
how to format them the way I need to. The MathType help system explains how
to use the Format Equation Number Dialog (on the MathType menu, the help
system says), but after an amusing half hour looking for them, I still can't
find the menu or the dialog. Is there a different way to get to the dialog
through Word 2007?

Can you point me to some information that will help me align and number
equations the way I need to?

Thanks again for your help,

Elbert

"Bob Mathews" wrote:

On 29-Jan-2008, Elbert wrote:

I insert a MathType equation and then in Word I do References/
Insert caption/Equation. If I insert the caption below the equation,
then later when I do References/Cross reference/Equation 1, the
cross reference is just "Equation 1" as it should be.

Elbert, I've been following this thread, and this is the first time
you've mentioned MathType. I answer questions about Equation Editor
too, but Bob and others were doing a great job so I stayed out of it.
I assumed you were using the legacy Equation Editor.

If you're using MathType 6, you'll have a MathType tab on the Word
2007 Ribbon. In the Insert group of the MathType tab, simply click on
"Right-numbered" (there's an option for Left-numbered too), and you
get an equation as well as the next number in sequence. You can format
the numbers however you want, and if you're using chapter/section
numbers, you can insert a break at the appropriate spot so the
numbering follows. Inserting a reference to a particular equation is
just as easy, and all the numbers & references will re-number if you
add or remove one.

You're just going to way too much trouble.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide