Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Elbert Elbert is offline

Default Equation line numbers

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the help.

If you have created custom toolbars (rather than customizing Word's built in toolbars) in a prior version if you place that template in Word 2007's Startup folder (or attach the template (Alt, T, I) in Word 2007, your toolbars should appear in an 'Add-In' tab...

Mostly I had customized the built in toolbars, but this procedure (which I
would never have figured out for myself) got me one custom toolbar that I had
created.

Your macros should likewise be available (View Macros=View Macros) and some may need to be tweaked for differences in Word 2007.

On the View ribbon I clicked on the View Macros button, but I did not see my
macros in the list. However, in the organizer I selected normal11.dot (my
normal template for Word 2003) and I was able to move some macros to
normal.dotm, including the one that aligns and captions MathType equations
the way I want them! Can you tell me how to assign keyboard shortcuts to
those macros? Shift-F1 used to invoke the equation macro, but now it reveals
formatting.

BTW, I couldn't figure out how to record the equation macro with Word 2007.
With 2003, the macro was assigned to shift-F1. Shift-F1 would insert a two
cell table, move the left edge of the table in 1/2", insert a caption with
Equation # in the right cell, right justify the caption, move to the left
cell, turn off all borders, do insert/object/MathType equation, then move the
cursor to the line after the table. I'd hit shift-F1 and almost immediately
I'd see the MathType window. I'd type my equation, and when I exited from
MathType, I'd have my equation aligned where I wanted it and captioned, with
the cursor on the next line so I could continue typing.

With 2007, I finally figured out (again my intuition failed me) that the
record macro feature is located on the view ribbon. So I tried to use it to
record the same macro--the only way I could see to assign a keyboard shortcut
to it, but I got stuck when I tried to move the caption into the right cell,
and again when I tried to move the left edge of the table over by 1/2".
Unless I'm missing something, the record macro feature is a lot less useful
in 2007 than it was in 2003.

Your suggestion to insert an aligned and captioned equation as a quick part
works pretty well. Since I need to double click the empty equation object,
and I can't see it when it's empty, I made an equation with the letter x in
it. Now to insert an equation I have to click Insert, then quick object, then
equation. Then I have to double click on the equation, delete the x, type the
equation, exit from MathType, and move the cursor below the table. Not bad,
but not quite as slick as my old shift-F1.

Thanks again for the help,

Elbert

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Elbert,

The thread you came in is titled 'Equation Line Numbers' but I'm assuming that you're not looking to line number the equation
elements but to tie captions to the Equations?

But first, on finding your way around in Word 2007 g...
If you have created custom toolbars (rather than customizing Word's built in toolbars) in a prior version if you place that template
in Word 2007's Startup folder (or attach the template (Alt, T, I) in Word 2007, your toolbars should appear in an 'Add-In' tab in
Word 2007 and you can also have them be attached to the Quick Access Toolbar.

Your macros should likewise be available (View Macros=View Macros) and some may need to be tweaked for differences in Word 2007.
It sort of depends on what they do g.

If you use keyboard shortcuts in Word 2003, many of the same shortcuts continue to work in Word 2007. There's also interactive,
printable and viewable 'cheat sheets' on 'where are they now' commands/button lists here.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

Okay, back on captioning equations, (much more Suzanne and others' strongpoints g) the two cell one row table can be setup to be
fairly simple to reuse in Word 2007

In Word 2007 Insert=Table and create a two column one row table.
If you want the captions to follow the equation,

1. Place your cursor in the table's left cell and use
Insert=Equation to put an empty equation builder control in that cell (If you're using Mathtype or the older Word 3.0 Equation
choice you can select either of those through Insert=Object=Object at this point)

2. Use Reference=Insert Caption to create a caption, then cut and paste that into the right hand cell.

3. Select the whole table by clicking on the the icon above the top left of the table when you hover over that corner then right
click, choose Borders and Shading (or use Table Tools=Design=Borders) and set the table to have no lines. Make any other changes
you want as far as table cell sizing, or centering, etc using the Table Tools tab and the Home formatting choices.

4. With the table still selected go to Insert=Quickparts and choose
'Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery...' to create a building block.

5. In the next dialog that comes up give the building block a name, change the Gallery to 'Equations', create a new category named
'Added Equations', type a description of what this is used for and in the Options choose
'Insert content in its own paragraph' and OK.

Now when you use Insert=Equation, your tabled equation, complete with numbered caption is ready to choose.

There is also a way to do it with using 'linked styles' in Word 2007, but this one's fairly long already, so that will be in a
separate message

========
"Elbert" wrote in message ...
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the help. I guess I should have known intuitively that the
version number is a resource. Sorry to be cranky, but I've wasted days trying
to figure out how to do things with Word 2007 that I could do with 2003.
e.g., I had carefully customized my toolbars for 2003 so I could be very
productive. Gone. I had spent hours and hours developing macros that saved me
a great deal of time. Gone. And I was sure I'd love the ribbons, but I don't.

Which item are you referring to in this case as a 'bug'? Word 2007 has its own internal Equation Editor as well as the optional

installation of the prior version Equation Editor. Neither of these equation editors is very useful for somebody who enters a lot
of equations, so I use MathType (you may recall that Word 2003 admitted that the equation editor wasn't very good and suggested an
upgrade to MathType.)

I insert a MathType equation and then in Word I do References/Insert
caption/Equation. If I insert the caption below the equation, then later when
I do References/Cross reference/Equation 1, the cross reference is just
"Equation 1" as it should be.

If instead I put the caption to the right of the equation (which is where I
want it and I suspect most people want it), then when I do References/Cross
reference/Equation 1, I get as the cross reference the equation plus the
caption, which is a real mess.

I followed the suggestion about using a table, and it works OK, but it's
awkward and in my opinion shouldn't be necessary--a bug.

I have no idea what "linked styles" are, and I hope to God I never have to
figure it out in order to do something that should be simple. I'm trying to
get some work done here.

Thanks again,

Elbert
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Elbert,

In Word 2007 you can get to the version number through Word Options in the 'Resources' dialog
(Alt, T, O, R) or (Alt, F, I, R)

The old HelpAbout dialog is still available, but doesn't have a keyboard shortcut and the old Word 2003 one ( Alt, H, A) doesn't
work in Word 2007.

You can get to the old dialog through (a) the 'About' button in Resources (via the above route);
(b) by using View=Macros=View Macros,
selecting 'Word Commands' for 'Macros in:' at the bottom of the dialog
and running the 'HelpAbout' command or
(c) by adding a keyboard shortcut in
Office Button=Word Options=Customize=Customize Keyboard
and select All commands then 'HelpAbout'

Which item are you referring to in this case as a 'bug'? Word 2007 has its own internal Equation Editor as well as the optional
installation of the prior version Equation Editor. You can use 'linked styles' in Word to have the Equation caption and Equation
on the same line, although it's usually cleaner to use the two column table approach Suzanne mentioned.

"Elbert" wrote in message ...
I hope eventually Microsoft will fix this bug, which they have not done in the latest version of Word 2007. (I'd tell you exactly
what version I have, but with the wonderful new user interface, I can't figure out how to look up what it is. Whatever became of
help/about?)