Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Coily Coily is offline

Default Word 2007 Equation Editor: Permutations, Combinations?

Thanks, Herb. Found that and played with it for a while. Some refinements:

This uses the \hairsp (hairline space character) since a regular space is
translated to a box for an unknown. Entering Ctrl-I before the C avoids the
switch to italic.

Alt+= to start. Enter: \hairsp, underscore, n, space, Ctrl+I, C,
underscore, r, space.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this faithfully represented in Math
AutoCorrect. The link to other math notations will be helpful.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You'll need to cobble--but then save your cobbled version as an equation or
an autocorrect entry for future use. Start a new equation, then type the
following inside the equation container:

{underscore}n{spacebar}C{underscore}r{spacebar}

This will give you nCr (where n & r are subscripted). It will also give you
an empty box before the n, which you can ignore (and if you can make it not
show at all... let me know how, because I haven't discovered a method yet).

Of course, this is all much easier to do in Word without the equation
editor... unless, of course, you need additional things that only the
equation editor can do.

You might find this resource useful, since Word 2007's equation editor seems
to "speak" the UTN28 Plain Text Math language:

http://unicode.org/notes/tn28/UTN28-...extMath-v2.pdf

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Coily" wrote in message
I haven't found any support in the new Equation Editor for properly
formatting Permutations (nPr) or Combinations (nCr). Are they here
somewhere, or do I have to cobble something together? Their display would
format the n and r elements in subscript, one before and one after the P
or C.