Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
zSplash

Default Hide dialogs on mailmerge

Thank you, Peter, for your help.

The system is very simple, so the method always work (hopefully (!)) --
(there's a built-in loop such that if there is not enough info, it loops to
find it), so it ALWAYS has enough data to merge. I hear you saying there's
no way to turn off the dialogs. (Rats!)

st.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Not sure which particular problem you are encountering.

Is the DataSource dialog appearing when you execute the
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.Name = ""
line (it doesn't here if there is no mail merge data source) or as a

result
of code in your MergeSetup routine?

I would say the main point is that once you call OpenDataSource, you are

at
the mercy of the method and if it chooses to display a dialog box, you

won't
be able to suppress it (except possibly by working directly with the

Windows
API). The only way to avoid that is to ensure that the method always

works,
i.e. the data source is always where you say it is, there are never any
"gotchas" opening it, and the OpenDataSOurce always provides enough info.

avoid the dialog. IMO that is in the general case impossible, not least
becasue with some types of data source, you can't avoid a dialog.

You may also need to look at the following KB article:

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document"

at

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

Peter Jamieson

"zSplash" zNOSPAMSplash@ gci.net wrote in message
How do I hide the DataSource dialog and the Header dialog on mail merge?

For example, when the following code runs, I don't want to see it:
If ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.Name = "" Then
MergeSetup
GoTo getDataSource
End If

TIA