Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 - Style changes reverting back in a template

Are you saying that the issue is with that particular *.dot file only, or
can you reproduce it with any *.dot file?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mariel9898" wrote in message
No, that's not it.

I have a .dot file. I need to make some slight changes to the document and
save it as a .dotx file. I have tried two ways to do this, either way is
the
same problem.

Method 1
I open the .dot file and save it as a .dotx file (save as, document
template). I make changes. I save it again (regular save button). I close
the
file. I open a new file based on the template and the changes are not
there -
it's reverted back to the original as if no changes were ever made. I open
the .dotx file and the changes are not there.

Method 2
I create a new .dotx document based on the .dot template. I save as a
.dotx
file. I make changes. I close the file. I open a new file based on the
template and the changes are not there -see above

I'm not working on the network, everything is local. The same thing is
happening to my colleague.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Assuming that I understood your description correctly, you were saying
that
Save As pops up when you try to save an existing file (which normally
wouldn't require a Save As operation)? My question was: Is there a
message
before you are presented with the Save As dialog box?

The fact that you're on a corporate network might be relevant. For
example,
the cause of trouble could be access rights to folders. If this is the
case,
it's a Windows issue.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mariel9898" wrote in message
I don't understand exactly what you mean - in order to save as a 2007 of
course "save as" has to be used doesn't it?

Anyway you made me think of something to try but it didn't work. I
opened
the original .dot file, did a save as document template which saved it
as
.dotx file. I closed the file, reopened it and made a small change as
an
experiment. But when I went to creat a new document based on the
template
(Office Button, New, pick the template from the list) the changes were
not
there. I went back to the .dotx file in My Computer and opened it using
right
click, open (to open the file and not a new document) and the changes
were
not there.

I don't know what is going on. I'm running XP in a corporate
environment
by
the way in case it's relevant.

.