Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Default Custom Envelope Dimension Limitation

Forget all about envelopes! Set the DOCUMENT page size to what you want (or
the next larger size). If your printer is capable of 4" x 6" (as is my
Epson) then 4 x 6 will be one of the choices. Word doesn't care a bit
whether the paper inserted in the printer is an envelope or plain paper -
though the printer might.

If you have that 4 x 6 size then set all the margins to zero then allow Word
to fix the limits. You can then put your return address on the page wherever
you want (The envelope return style isn't even required. You can use *any*
style to position the address anywhere on that page.)

As for the addressee information, you can use the envelope address style if
you want - drag its frame to where you want it. Then inside that frame put
the macrobutton field from http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm to call the
address from Outlook (if that is what you want) and save the document as a
template. Use the template to create new documents either for individual
labels or mail merge.

BCB wrote:
As I understand this solution, it doesn't appear to work. To clarify
the problem, I write a letter using standard 8.5 x 11 paper. I
generate an envelope and wish to print it to a 4" x 6" label. The
printer documentation states that it can print to something as small
as 3" x 5" and I know that the printer can easily handle the 4" x 6".
I have tried to select standard envelope sizes that are larger than
4" x 6" and to use the margins that Word allows for the return
address under the Envelope Options tab. Unfortunately, not matter
what envelope definition I choose, Word prevents me from choosing a
"from left" indentation (or margin) that is adequate to ensure that
the left side of the return address prints on the page. There is some
sort of limitation that prevents a value large enough to resolve the
problem.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The simplest plan is to use the next larger standard paper size and
make up the difference with margins. Word relies on the printer
driver to fix the page size and the relationship tends to be poor
with custom sizes. Word has no idea what the physical size of the
paper is.

BCB wrote:
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope
address function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under
Envelope Size, I choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38"
x 4.49". I overwrite this with 6" x 4". I then receive an error
message indicating that the smallest length Word will let me select
is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to get around this and when
printing the label as an envelope, the return address is off the
page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as
small as 5" x 3".