Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Default Trig functions for Formulas in Tables

Formulae in Word tables are pretty much limited to the user of the basic
mathematical operators +, -, *, /

So, if my knowledge of trig functions has not gone astray, you could use

{ = b2 * 2 / 1.732 }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"gatz" wrote in message
news

I've been trying to get this formula to work in a table of 4 columns x 10
rows...

{=b2*(sec? 30) }

There's a value of .4375 in b2 and I want to multiply it by sec 30 (or,
1/cos 30) and show the results in the last cell of that row; d2

When I put the formula in that cell and hit Enter, I keep getting "SYNTAX
Error" but have no idea how these trig functions should be entered.

If there's a simple multiplication formula entered instead; say { = b2 *
12}, after hitting Enter, there's a dialog box that comes up, and Update
Field can be clicked on to evaluate the cell which gives a correct answer.
However, entering the trig function formula doesn't show that dialog box.

How are trig funtions supposed to be entered? Anyone know?