If you want Word to pick up captions automatically for a Table of Figures or
List of Tables, you need to create the captions the way Word wants to. So
select the caption text you've already typed (excluding the Figure number),
copy it, and paste into the Caption dialog after the label Word inserts.
Then delete the caption you had already typed.

My guess is you may not be able to get Word to create exactly the type of
figure numbering you are using ("Figure S.1.1"), so you might be better off
using a specific style or styles for the figure captions and table titles.
Then create an ordinary TOC that will pick up this style or styles. This
might be a better solution, anyway, since Word by default does not combine
figure and table captions in the same Table of Figures, so you would
probably have to use a TOC anyway.

"Dee" wrote in message
I have a doucment that I need to create a table of figures and tables. I

go
to the first fugure and highlight the text I want to be part of my table

and
I go to Insert, Reference, Caption when I go OK Word creates a text that

says
Figure 1 underneath what I highlighted I want the text I highlighted to

be
Figure 1 because it already has the heading "Figure S.1.1 Mechanism of
Action" How do I get Word to use what I highlight to be the caption for my
Tables of Figures. Also can you have figures and tables in the Table of
Figures. If I select "Figure for the figure and Table for the Table will

it
create to separate tables. One of figures and one of tables. I am using

Word
2003.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dee