Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Default Different top margins/footnotes

Hi Robert

Robert B. Weinstock wrote:
1. The document had seven chapters.

2. The first page of each chapter had a 2" top margin; all subsequent pages
had 1" top margins.

3. Each chapter has footnotes. Footnote numbering restarts from 1 for each
chapter.

I set the first page of the chapter with a 2" top margin. At the bottom of
this first page, I put in a continuous page break. At the top of the second
page, I set a new 1" top margin.

HOWEVER, this caused footnote numbering to restart on the second page of
each chapter. If there were two footnotes on page 1 of the chapter, they were
numbered 1 and 2. If there were two more footnotes on page 2 of the chapter,
they were numbered 1 and 2 instead of the desired 3 and 4.

Don't use a section break for that: usually, you setup the section for
each chapter as "Different first page". Then you can do whatever you
like with the header on the first page (often: just leave it empty).

But in this special case, I would not even bother with that, and simply
use a large enough "space before" in the heading style which starts each
chapter.

Greetinx
Robert
--