Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alan[_7_] Alan[_7_] is offline

Default inserting attachments into mailmerge emails

Hi Graham
Your quick response made me try a third party remedy against my usual
inclinations. I have got it working with the trial version and think i will
be buying the official version for US$24. I recommend that anybody else
trying it follows the video demo first as it is quite informative. I was
amazed at how little effort the add-on needs before it is in full working
order.

Thanks again to both you and Doug. In return, I would like to pass on a tip
I discovered in working up to this stage of mail merging. When you first
save a file in Word, the program suggests a name for your file. The
suggested name is the first word in text on your page (excluding any
graphics). When you receive a merged email message and print it, the
suggested, not amended, file name will appear at the top left corner of the
printed page. This means that your carefully-composed message starts with
garbage. If you remember, you can use this to appear more efficient by
inserting the name of your company or product at the top of your draft before
first saving it. Then that name will appear at the top of the prited
message. You will probably want to delete it from the draft on a second save
but the original words will remain embedded in subsequent versions. This may
only apply with Office 2003 €“ I have no other edition to check. Good luck,
Alan

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

One thing you could try is to install the demo version of MAPILab's
Mailmerge toolkit add-in for Outlook
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/ While this will allow you to send
e-mail attachments directly, it is also rumoured to fix the issues that
cause problems with html e-mail merges and they should remain fixed if you
decide not to continue with it.

Alan wrote:
Until I saw Doug's article "inserting attachments into mailmerge
emails", I thought there was no way to send an attachment with an
email from Outlook 2003. I had been working on emailing a merged
email message, with a second page containing what I really wanted to
send as an attachment, and, due to formatting problems on my internal
test run and the scope for further problems with some of our
unsophisticated prospect base, I had just about given up on the whole
idea.

I have trialled Doug's program with a work-around for the attachment
(in my case a .pdf form) and it works well, apart from one problem.
I copied and pasted the macro as directed, after specifying the
References for the Tools Menu. I am using Outlook 2003 with Word
2003.

Although my sent document and the inbox document (sent to myself for
the trial) both specify the document as HTML format, the document
itself has been stripped of graphics and the bold print and italic
print. Everything appears as the original regular Ariel 10 font,
similar to this print, with the bullets and tabs, removed. Is there
a way to overcome this problem?

If there has been a similar query before now, just point me to the
comments and I will be very grateful.

Alan