Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default Mail Merge "Ask" Rule

Hi csinnett,

You might be able to get what you're after by embedding the relevant mergefield in the ASK field. To do this:
.. press Ctrl-F9 twice, to create a pair of nested field braces thus '{ { } }'
.. Fill in/around the field braces so that you get '{ASK BkMrk "Prompt for {MERGEFIELD KeyField} variable"}'
whe
. 'BkMrk' is your bookmark's name.
. 'Prompt for ' and 'variable' are the parts of your prompt. Note that you need the double quotes.
. 'KeyField' is the relevant merge source field.

--
Cheers
macropod

"csinnett" wrote in message ...
In Word 2007 we're attempting to set up a mail merge template that includes
an "Ask" rule where we'll provide individualized response for each customer
(e.g. you owe us this many $$). The rule appears to work but we're having a
problem - the prompt comes up for each record but it doesn't display which
merge record it applies to. Does anyone know how to get the merge prompt to
display a merge field (say last name) so we can tell whose record we're
working on?

Thanks,

Chris