Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Default change the AUTO TEXT selections in the HEADER-FOOTER toolbar

The style applied to text that is saved as AutoText determines the category
it is sorted into in the AutoText menu on the toolbar. The toolbar in the
header/footer view shows entries that were saved using the header or footer
style. So it doesn't show To Whom It May Concern: or Very truly yours,

Unless you include one or more paragraph marks in your AutoText entry the
formatting does not carry get put into your document when you insert the
AutoText.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm (background item #4).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"LJ" wrote in message
Thank you both for trying. Sadly I don't quite follow enough to make the
change. I have been in 'footer' but to add a new auto text I seem to need
be out of footer and back in "insert auto text". From there I don't see
how
to change which ones show up in the "header footer" auto text mini list.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The AutoText entries shown on the Header and Footer toolbar are those
that
were created in the Header or Footer style. If you create the AutoText
entry
when you're in a header or footer, you'll be in that style; otherwise,
you'll have to apply it manually before creating the AutoText entry.

so
all may benefit.

"LJ" wrote in message
I have new AUTO TEXT that I want to easily select when I make a new

footer.
The current header- footer toolbar has the usual selections (created
on,
filename etc). I have created the new auto text in the regular auto
text

area
of word (insert auto text add) but don't know how to make it appear
as

one
of the choices in the footer toolbar.
thanks