Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Bullets misbehaving!

This was set up as a way for clueless users (which you obviously are not) to
"get out of" bullets. If you will type at least a single space after the
bullet before pressing Enter, the bullet will be retained.

"Bryan Saint Germain" wrote in
message ...
JD, I know exactly what you mean, and this has bugged me since I moved up

Word 2003. I was just looking through the forums for an answer and all I
could find was your question. Here's what I know: (turn on display of

hidden
characters to make it obvious):

If the cursor is resting (blinking) on a bullet that's blank (no text on
that line, just a hard return) and I press the return/enter key, that

bullet
changes to a normal (non-bulleted) line and the new line I've created is

also
a normal (non-bulleted) line with the cursor resting at the start of that

new
line. This happens whether I start on the last bullet of a set or I start

on
an empty bullet in the middle of a set of bullets.

Note that this is not an issue of space before or after paragraphs. I'm
quite familiar with that option and use it a lot in my work. As I said,
turning on display of hard returns will make the behavior quite clear.

Now frankly, I find this irritating. I'm used to creating a number of

extra
bullets within a set and then populating them with text in some order

other
than first, second, third, etc. I know that I can select the bullets that
were automatically converted to normal paragraphs and convert them back,

but
that does seem excessive. This was not an issue in Office 2000.

I thought there would be a checkbox somewhere in the style and formatting
options but so far I've been unable to find one that affects this

behavior.
Maybe someone else knows where to find it . . .

Regards,
Bryan