Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default disappearance of auto text list in "header/footer" toolbar

If you rename Normal.dot (find the active one in the path given on the File
Locations tab of Tools | Options), I guarantee that the fresh Normal.dot
that Word will generate will contain the default AutoText entries. You can
text this by starting Word in Safe Mode (by pressing Ctrl as the program is
AutoText entries are present in Safe Mode (which bypasses your Normal.dot
and uses Word's default settings, including the hard-coded internal
Normal.dot), then they will be present when Word generates a fresh copy.

"Megor" wrote in message
This is (link) was helpful, but didn't solve the problem. Perhaps I didn't
find the correct instance of Normal.dot to repair. At any rate, the list

is
still missing.
M__

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual reason for this is that a document has been saved as

Normal.dot.
See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Megor" wrote in message
The list of auto text entries has disappeared from the "insert auto

text"
dropdown menu in the header/footer toolbar. It's still available in

the
insertautotext menu option. What happened to it? How do I get the

list
active in header/footer toolbar? I get a blank square when I click the
dropdown menu arrow.