Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Linking/based on template

Stefan happens to be about the most "knowledgable" MVP there is.

On Jul 12, 7:32*am, "sally" wrote:
Thanks for your 'hint/pointer', impractical as it is. It also doesn't really
answer any other questions I posed about how I can learn more about
template/document relationships. But that's pretty typical of your posts.

I've since found some more useful answers from more knowledgable MVPs.

Regardless, thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to post and empart
your knowledge.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message

The only solution is to e-mail both the document and the template
containing the building block.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sally" wrote in message
Hi there

I'm using Word 2007 and have templates with a few building blocks that
are template specific - eg. custom Cover Page, Headers & Footers, etc.
and I have a couple of issues I don't seem to be able to find the answer
to.

If I create a document based on my custom template and then email the
document, the link to the 'based on' template is broken and the custom
building blocks are no longer accessible (why 'o why can't building
blocks be template specific like styles??).

In all my searching (online and books), I can't find any useful
information about how documents based on templates interact with each
other to be able to work with this. I mostly find information about how
great 'Building Blocks.dotx' is and store your custom building blocks
here! Which is fine. For just Me. But I have a number of users I need to
roll this out to. *Would someone be able to point me in the right
direction so I can learn about template/document links, how they interact
and what breaks them? And the best way to deploy custom building blocks
to a number of users (without using the 'Building Blocks.dotx')? In an
ideal world, my building blocks would be template specific so I don't end
up with users being faced with a multitude of choices, but I fear this is
not possible.

Any hints/pointers?

Many thanks in advance,