Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Turn off updating date fields

For what you are doing, you need to insert the date as text, which can't be
done with the built-in Alt+Shift+D shortcut. You have two options: insert
the DATE field as before and immediately unlink it (Ctrl+Shift+F9) or
write/record a macro to perform the actions in Insert | Date and Time, with
the desired format selected and the "Update automatically" box cleared
(which inserts the date as text).

When I recorded such a macro, the result was:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' Macro recorded Thursday, July 12, 2007 by Suzanne S. Barnhill
'
Selection.InsertDateTime DateTimeFormat:="dddd, MMMM d, yyyy", _
InsertAsField:=False, DateLanguage:=wdEnglishUS, CalendarType:= _
wdCalendarWestern, InsertAsFullWidth:=False
End Sub

So you might play with this idea; you can, of course, assign a keyboard
shortcut to your macro.

"MrJuggles" wrote in message
Hi there
I know I've read about this in many threads, but I can't seem to actually
find a solution to my specific need (and I don't have good search skills)
I work in an office that takes many calls and as part of a word document I
put the date and time field in as an autocomplete. As in if we press two
buttons it puts the date and time in as we want it. However I didn't know
that this updates everytime you open up the document.
I tried putting it in as a macro with the insert date time and taking the
'autoupdate field' off but this is the extra little problem. We also have

an
icon relating to what we want to input, a little telephone for a telephone
call, fax icon for fax sent, email icon for email sent and so on. However
the macro doesn't seem to want to deal with the icons, so I can put a

macro
in for the "insert date time" with the auto complete off, but the icon

won't
appear.
Is there anyway I can get a simple way for the icon to appear with the

time
and date below of the time it was input, and have it stay like that?