Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Susan L Susan L is offline

Default Word form does not open at the top

Apologies for the delay in responding.

I did find a workaround, rather inelegant, but it works. I placed a text
control near the top of the document, then formatted it as hidden text.

To answer your questions:
Using Word 2003 and Windows XP and XP Professional (when at the office)
I inserted a continuous section break near the top of the document. Then I
highlighted all the material below the section marker and then applied
protection. (I did notice when I went into Normal view that the section break
was labeled "End of Protected" somthing or other.

Since I posted my question, I have run into some other issues. (Let me know
if I need to start another thread.) My major question is whether there are
any known problems moving templates from one system to another? Here's
background.

I sent the template to my client and helped him install it in the proper
templates folder. When he opened a document based on the template two things
happened:
1) He was unable to edit the form. None of the radio buttons or text boxes
could be used. 2) The Control Toolbox was visible (I had been careful to
close it).

I sent him a form created from the template, which he was able to open from
the e-mail I sent. He then did a Save As to a folder in My Documents. (Saving
to the desktop did not work -- the form was uneditable.)

I also had problems on my laptop (XP Professional + Word 2003 -- same as my
client). Only, Word doesn't recognize that the templates are in the templates
folder when I choose File New. And double-clicking the actual template to
create a document results in an uneditable document. I guess I will next try
re-creating the template on that machine.

--
susan

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Susan L" wrote:

I have a protected form that does not open at the top of the document where
there's a title and logo. The first form controls are 3/4 down the page
(therefore that's the first tab stop). The rest of the form is a table with
various controls.

I saw a post about putting a "blank" continuous section break at the top of
the document, then protecting everything beneath that. However, this did not
work for me.

"This did not work for me." is not helpful for those wishing to help you out.
Please describe the observed behaviour from your document and the exact
procedure you tried to apply.

Did you actually unprotect that first blank section?
Which Word version?

I'd really appreciate any help you can give. This form is going out to major
US corporations and I don't want "egg on my face". Thanks.
--
susan