Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Default Removing chevrons from MergeFields

The chevrons in Word's mergefield are an integral part of the field and
toggle with ALT+F9 to {Mergefield Fieldname}. What you describe appears to
be related to the third party application you are trying to use. take it up
with the suppliers of that software.

Jako wrote:
Hi there, I have recently subscribed to a we based database program
for my organisation that inserts your word documents into their
library and places the database items (names, numbers, greeting ext)
into your rtf format document when you use their mergefield links.

My main problem is that the chevrons the appear when you use the
mergefield fields have to be manually removed in order for them not be
be displayed. This is quite a bit of a task as there are about 100
letters with about 10 fields on each letter that needs to be modified.

I know that everyone says that you just press the "abc" button on
the mailmerge toolbar and they should disappear, but unfortunately
this is not the case as this is not a mailmerge. I have actually
created a macro through just recording that places most of the field
in the form by just running it, but the task still remain to remove
the chevrons after the fields have been entered.

Is it possible to remove the chevrons in any other way than to
manually remove them every time t hey are entered?