Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Manage Styles window query

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
I did read your reply to Tom but, apparently, I had to read it twice...

It took me awhile to wrap my head around how the change to the document
defaults impacts the way we've "always known Word to work". :-) I suspect
once others start looking more into this and understanding how the
document defaults work exactly there will be some controversy surrounding
using the Normal style as your base style, using (no style), and/or
continuing to modify the Normal style. Who knows...but I've been waiting
for such debates for over a year, anyway. ;-)

So what you are saying is that in previous versions it wasn't possible to
change the document defaults? That certainly explains why the defaults
show
10 pt TNR when opening old documents in Word 2007.

Yes. They were previously hard-wired into the application and we couldn't
change them. Even if you modified the Normal style, TNR 10pt/12pt was
still the default font/font size and could still surface.

Take for example basing a style on "(no style)". In past versions it would
always default to the hard-wired TNR 10pt/12pt. In Word 2007 new styles
based on "(no style)" will use the Document Defaults AND those styles will
update if modifications are made to the Document Defaults.

This is indeed annoying.

Thank you for the clarification.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

In addition, as
previously noted, if the Normal style hasn't been modified (or if it uses
the same formats as the Document Defaults) any changes to the Document
defaults will be reflected in the Normal style.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word