Bill Watkins

I turned off the NAV Office plug-in option, but it had no apparent effect.
(We use MacAfee and Word 2000 in the office, and I had similar problems
there, albeit using a direct paste of the object into the IF field.)

I'm attaching two of the simple test .dot's that have the problem. "Clean
Test 1..." was created similar to the steps I described. Add a single page
break after the "Just some text over the graphic" line, and then scroll up
and down over the two pages for a bit so that both pages are usually
partially in view (having two pages in view appears to be part of the
triggering mechanism). (BTW, the text over the graphic was just one thing I
was testing-- it appeared to have no real effect, and the same thing
happened if I had only have a single paragraph mark in the body before I
added the page break, as in the steps I sent. In a document with somewhat
more body text over the graphic, the body text often starts to "blink" a bit
when scrolled.)

For some reason, it takes a few moments for the problems to start, but
eventually if I keep scrolling over the two pages, Word gets "busy" and
won't give me back control, and the memory count starts climbing (it
oscillates a bit at first, but keeps rising overall). Once or twice, it has
eventually responded to the Close window command, but usually I have to kill
the application from the Task Manager. I also get this strange phenomenon
of two instances of the document-application appearing intermittently in the
Task Manager's "Application" tab.

"Clean Test 2..." was a save I made of "Clean Test 1..." immediately after
inserting the page break and before things got out of hand (but it still
took a long time to respond to the save command). Interestingly, "Clean
Test 2" didn't go completely bonkers the first time I opened it until I
added another page break (to make three pages), and kept two pages in view.
The CPU was somewhat less, but the memory climb was pretty steady. The
second time I opened "Clean Test 2", the CPU went high pretty quickly.
Again, it appears to have something to do with two pages being in view.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I can't reproduce the problem here using your examples (Word 2003). To be
sure there is nothing amiss with your Word installation checkout the
measures listed at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm
and http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
If you are using Norton AV, uncheck its office plug-in option.