Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

Default Word takes extraodinarily long time to open doc

I would suggest checking your virusscan software. What happens if you
temporarely disable it. Does that speed things up?

Yves

"Theresa" wrote in message
We are having a similar issue.

Since about the beginning of 2010, our Word documents started to take a
VERY
long time to open, and everyone in our organization is complaining. We
can't
figure out why some open almost instaneously and others take up to 5
minutes.
It is not the network because it still happens when the document is copied
to the C drive. Some people say it happened after the Windows 7 update,
but
no one is sure. Some users get messages such as this document caused a
serious error the last time it opened, and this file is corrupt (neither
are
true). For some users, Word crashes and an MS report is generated.
We think it is either a Microsoft Office 2003 problem or something to do
with Windows XP. Our system is updated automatically.
Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions please!