Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default Hyphenation in a TOC

The only way to do this is to create your TOC, then with the cursor in the
TOC (so that it selected) use the UnLinkField command (Ctrl+Shft+F9) which
unlinks the field and effectively turn the TOC (field) into text
(non-field).

This will let you do whatever you like with the formatting but has the
obvious disadvantages that if the document is edited, the TOC has to be
recreated from scratch and justified/hyphenated it will look
unconventionally ghastly.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
On Jan 30, 8:32 am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You have to realize that text in the TOC is part of a field, so its
behavior
is governed by whatever laws are applied to fields. But are we talking
about
justifying text or hyphenating it? Those will be two entirely different
things. Keep in mind that the TOC entries, if they include page numbers,
are
going to include a right-aligned tab stop and a tab character, which
would
prevent them from being justified. And it may be that the style (or the
field) is formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar," which would
prevent hyphenation. When you apply the TOC style to text that is not in
table of contents, it does not include the tab stop for page numbers
(which
is generated dynamically) nor the tab character (ditto), so it would
behave
differently outside the TOC. Regardless of whether the headings
themselves
are justified, I can see absolutely no defense of trying to have the TOC
entries justified.

What is weird is that the paragraphs will not hyphenate even AFTER
being cut and pasted out of the field or the link to the field is
broken. However, they will hyphenate if you do a paste special as text
and apply the TOC.

styles.

I wish I could convince users to do things the easy way....but I can't.