I think the built-in heading styles are pretty well fixed in what level they
can be.

"obi_wonder" wrote in message
Hi, thanks, that site seems to be getting me on the right track. However,

I'm
still having major issues: I'm setting up my own numbering system for the
document and trying to associate it with heading 3. Unfortunately,

everytime
I it I set the first level as "Section" and then the following levels as

1.1
etc. I try to link level 1 to heading 3; however, the numbering system

links
level 3 to heading 3 and no matter what i do it always sets it back to

that.
That is, I will customize it by making level one Heading 3, and level 3 no
style, but once i click okay, it re-assigns heading 3 to level 3. Is there
anyway to fix this?

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

If you have a look here I think you will be well on your way to
understanding:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

obi_wonder wrote:
Hi all,

the subject pretty much says it all. I have a 115 page document that
employs dozens of different numbering layouts and formats, none
really work together and they are too easily ruined. I need help from
anyone that can tell me a few simple things with word numbering:

1. How do I get an outlined numbering that starts at the second level
of numbering? i.e. when I'm writing why can I not specifically choose
an outline numbering that lets me start with 1.1? and then when I
press enter it would go to 1.2, if I pressed enter + tab it
would go to 1.2.1

For instance I may have: "Section 1: Introduction" as a heading 3 for
the table of contents. So, I would want everything in there listed in
an outline system with the first number starting at 1.1 and down from
there. I'd also like it so that when I move on to section 2, I can
simply re-adjust the numbering to start at 2.1 without affecting
section 1.

I hope this makes sense, if anyone can help me I would truly
appreciate it. This has been a headache for me for well over a month
now. Thanks all!