Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Pete Pete is offline

Default Long Doc Formatting Assistance

Greetings friends,

I am helping the editor of a (very low budget) journal to format books.
These are fairly complex and long documents (although, in the scheme of
things, probably not too complicated). I would estimate that we are
intermediate level users. We both have macs (mine is a Macbook Pro
using OS X version 10.4.8) and are working on Word 2004 version 11.3.
Here are some of the formatting needs of the books we are working on:

The goal is to have a book (probably in the 200 - 300 page range) with
continuous pages from start to finish. Book chapters need to start on
odd number pages. Sometimes we have to insert a blank page to fulfill
this requirement. The blank page must have a page number and "Blank" in
the header and both must show. For some reason this has been difficult.

We have also struggled with when we make a change, the rest of the
document shifts (header titles revert to the previous section, page
numbers shift).

We are needing a document that has 1 3/4" margin on the bottom and top
(from the top of the header) and two inch margins on the sides. For
some reason these also have shifted.

For the first page of each new chapter the header and page number do
not show.

Lastly, we have a table of contents and an index we are working with to
integrate into the book. We have been doing the TOC by hand. The index
has been done manually by looking up the words and inserting the
indexing function and then letting word format the index. At times, the
auto-indexer has been off in terms of page numbers.

Obviously, there are number of questions here. Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone recommend a resource (book, training, website) that
would answer these questions?
2) Would we be better served, given our experience level, by having
someone else do the formatting for us? If yes, how would you recommend
that we find such a person (we have a small amount of money)?
3) What fixes would you recommend for the above questions?

Sorry for the long post with multiple questions. Any advice or ideas
would be very helpful. Thanks!

Pete