Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Default Multiple People Editing at One Time?

Although theoretically Word could be designed along the lines you described,
it wasn't. Word doesn't have any kind of partial document locking mechanism
like a database -- it's the whole document or nothing.

You can use separate documents for the sections, and bring them together
into a single document by using IncludeText fields (and RD fields for
constructing a table of contents and index). To date the Master Document
feature is broken and frequently damages documents, so don't use it
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm).

Alternatively, you might be able to use a SharePoint server or a version
control system to manage the checkouts.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Boiler98 wrote:
Hello all.

Does anyone know of any Word plugins that would allow multiple
individuals to modify a single document at the same time?

The application could (as I see it) define multiple sections to a
single document. These sections could then be checked out by
individuals to modify, instead of the entire document. This would
allow me to work on Section 1 while someone else works on Section 3.

Thanks!