Graham Mayor

You must put it in the user templates folder (or a sub folder of that
folder) you can locate the correct folder by looking in tools options
file locations user templates to see what folder is defined there. It will
then show under file new and when you create a new document from it you
will have the required commands available.

Pat B wrote:
It's not protected. I just put it in the templates folder, but it
doesn't show up in any of the tabs when I select File New. Do I
have to do anything special to make it show up? I will try again at
home as that setup is likely to be less complicated than the one at
work in terms of where the templates are located.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Did you save the template (.dot document) in the templates folder?
Are you using FileNew and then selecting that template to create a
new document based on it as mail merge main document? Is the
document protected?

--
Please post any further questions or followup to the newsgroups for
the benefit of others who may be interested. Unsolicited questions

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Pat B" Pat wrote in message
I am trying to use a .dot document I received as the main document
in an mail
merge, but the merge options are greyed out. Any ideas on how to
activate this function or what else you might need to know to
assist? Not sure what version of word the file was created in, but
I did a save as in both 2000 and
offxp and still had the problem.

Thanks ...