Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Cannot open floopy disk in Word

Exactly.

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To add to what Bob and Terry have said, you don't want to open the

file on
the floppy directly from Windows Explorer, either, as that amounts to

the
same thing as opening it from Word (since Word will start and open

it).
Instead, you need to use Windows Explorer to copy the file to the HD

(to My
Documents or an appropriate subfolder within), then open it from

within
Word.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Why do you think this is a bad idea? The AutoRecovery backups are
saved to
the HD regardless of the location of the file itself, and the more
often
they are made (up to a point), the better.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
They may already be corrupted, then, by having been saved

directly
floppy, or by previous attempts at opening. You may be able to
extract
the
text contents by using the "Recover Text from Any File"

setting in
the
Open
dialog. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Susanne,

A very relevant link, the contents of which I am still studying.
Other
advice is getting me there slowly and is very much appreciated.
Just
one point at the moment: I have 'Save AutoRecover info every 10
minutes' enabled and I am not sure that this is a good idea yet

for
the
likes of myself and my wife, who I am helping. What are your
thoughts
on that please?

Thanks,
Emrys Davies.

Suzanne

It was something I read somewhere as to the merits of AutoRecover

and I
just needed reassurance, which is what you have given me.

Another point which is fooling me somewhat: I know that I must not

save
directly to a floppy from Word or open it directly from Word. I

accept
that, but if I attempt to open a floppy indirectly from Windows

Explorer
I do not have access to 'Files of type' which is such a useful tool

when
trying to ascertain which files are held on a floppy. I note that
WordPad is limited in that respect. Would you advise me on that

aspect
please as this is totally new ground for me?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Suzanne,

You have made that so clear. Now, having done exactly what you have
outlined, I take it that from within Word I can now open the file saved
in My Documents and at the same time safely use the 'Files of type'
menu, which prompted me to ask my question.

Thanks,
EmrysDavies.