Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Any way to save newsletter so it will be read properly on other computers?

Given that the image resolution of most personal printers is quite low, you
may not notice the difference. The only way to establish that is to try it
with your illustrations.

MaryL wrote:
We want to try e-mail for people who have that capability. However,
we have a number of people in the congregation (especially among the
elderly) who do not use computers. So, we will need to use snail
mail for them even if we send most through e-mail. What would that
process do to the documents that we print in the "traditional"
manner? Would it degrade the images?
Thanks,
MaryL

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
news
The size of your documents is almost certainly due to the
photographs. After you have installed all the pictures you are using
in the Newsletter, if you right-click a picture and select
Properties, one of the option is COMPRESS ALL which reduces the size
of the picture suitable for displaying on screen. That should have a
dramatic affect on the file size. Terry Farrell

The newsletters are often approximately 4 MB in size. They
generally run about 9-10 pages in length. All of the newsletters
involve column settings (3 columns for the first page, 2 columns
with a dividing line for following pages, then page to 1 "column"
for pages that involve several photos and the page for birthdays). There
is always some clipart, and the last page (birthdays) has a
decorative border around it. I use Times New Roman for most of the
newsletter, but I use different fonts for certain parts. For
example the person who sends in information for youth groups likes
to have me use Comic Sans MS (fairly large) for that portion. We
also include information for another small church, and I use
different font for entries from that church. There is a scanned
picture (from an original pen-and-ink drawing) of the church at the
top of each newsletter, and that contributes to the size. My
concern with size is that some people in the congregation probably
still have dial-up while others have cable broadband. I haven't
downloaded the PDF plug-in yet, but I plan to do that.
However, I also do not know how to embed fonts in Word. I have
embedded fonts in PowerPoint, but I haven't found the instructions
yet on doing that in Word.

Thanks,
MaryL

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
If you choose "Smallest File Size" for the PDF, some of the bells
and whistles (which probably aren't necessary in a newsletter,
anyway) are omitted, but if some fonts must be embedded, then file
size will inevitably
increase at least a little.

For example, I create a one-page newsletter each week. It has only
Times New Roman and Arial fonts and a couple of simple graphics.
The Word 2003 doc is usually 58-62 KB; the PDF (Smallest File
Size) is usually 40-48 KB, but I'm not embedding any fonts. OTOH,
a Word 2007 .docx file would probably be smaller than the PDF.

A 200-page book that I typeset (with a couple of photos) is a
10,437 KB .doc file and a 7,264 KB PDF (Press Quality, with fonts
embedded). --
http://word.mvps.org

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com"
wrote in message
Hi Terry,

That is not always the case. It depends upon the settings in the
PDF Printer Properties dialog.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my services on a paid consulting basis.

msnews.microsoft.com "Terry Farrell" wrote in
message
news Yes. That's because all information has to be embedded in a PDF
file so
that it display identically on all computers (which is the point
of this
thread).

Terry

"Jason" wrote in message
Also, are PDF larger in size?
"JoAnn Paules" wrote in message
Others have told you to use .pdf files but they didn't tell
you that "fancy fonts" need to be embedded (if possible) if
you want them to show up on your recipients' computers.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in
message ...
As some of you know, I prepare our church newsletter and
e-mail it to
the church. It is then printed and sent out by U.S. Mail. We are
thinking of sending it to members of the congregation
by e-mail to save expense (postage and paper) and also trees.
However, I use a variety of clipart, photos, borders, text
boxes, and fonts. That sounds like "too much," but I don't
include everything in every newsletter, and many people have
thanked me for the changes I have made. The problem is that
some items do not "hold" on a page when I
e-mail them to our secretary. In fact, one person sends
messages to me
in Calibri. It is always set with 1.15 spacing. I often
change it to
single-spacing to fit properly within certain areas of the
newsletter--but when our secretary receives, it sometimes
reverts back
to 1.15. That is easily set back to single-spacing, but I am
wondering if there is any way to save the newsletter in such
a way that it will be seen properly on a variety of computers
if we use e-mail for the congregation. In other words, I want
to make sure that
page breaks are viewed properly, photos remain in place, etc.
Obviously, we will not have any control over the types of
settings that various recipients use.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
MaryL