Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How can I change heading 1 without effecting Heading 2?

You need to use the Numbering dialog to format your numbering as Chapter #,
where # is the number field. If Heading 1 doesn't contain auto numbering,
then lower levels cannot inherit it. If you wanted Heading 1 to be
completely unnumbered, you could include a number and format it as hidden,
but in this case you just need Chapter before the number instead of after
it.

http://word.mvps.org

"Naz" wrote in message
1. Chapter 1 Introduction
1.1. Motivation
1.2. Objectives

The above is an example template I'm using. How can I change Heading 1
which
is Chapter 1 Introduction, in such a way that I remove the number 1 in
front
of it, without changing the numbering in Header 2 which is 1.1. Motivation
and 1.2. Objectives.? Everytime I remove the the number 1 all the other
headings change

Thanks Naz