Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Meltad Meltad is offline

Default Problem saving word document with linked excel document

Hi Cindy,

I've just thought of a problem even if I can force 'save as'...
The linked cells pasted into the word document will still be linked to the
original master file even if I save the whole spreadsheet as something else -
can I get round this at all??
I can't have the users creating this linked summary table each time, it will
need to update automatically (or by manually 'update link').
Can I do anything with a template to solve this??

Thanks :-)

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?TWVsdGFk?=,

I have a word document with an excel document linked as an icon (and a table
of linked data from the spreadsheet paste special-ed below the icon in the
word doc).
Users need to save a local copy of the word document for each project they
undertake (master is stored on the intranet) - they then click into the
spreadsheet from the word doc and save this as part of their project - this
has recently started to save over the master copy. Changes made to the master
copy overwrite all individual project documents. I'm sure this never used to
happen!

If it's a link, I'm sure this always did happen. Links aren't just one way... If
the user double-clicks a linked Excel object this will open the workbook. The
users must use File/Save As to save a separate copy.

Possibly, something has changed in the folder permissions? If the Excel workbook
is saved in a read-only folder, the user would be forced to "Save As"? Or
perhaps there should be a macro in the workbook to automatically "save as" to a
different location when the user executes the Save command?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)