Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Find/Replace Problem

You cannot do what you are trying to do, unless you have a way of
identifying the particular paragraph. The wildcard '*' is too broad a brush
without some additional help and will find *all* the text from the first
paragraph mark after the cursor position (if that is what you are searching
for) to the colon. You have to tie the search string down to a unique
combination of digits and wildcard characters. Thus

The cat*: would find the line and T*: would find the line.
but ^13*: could find a variety of irrelevant stuff.

DeanH wrote:
Many thanks Suzanne for your swift reply.
I have already been to these sites you mentioned and am still having
troubles. Maybe I am destined never to get the hang of wildcards!
For example, if the new paragraph starts:
The cat and the fiddle: the cow jumped over the moon.
I want Find to hit "The cat and the fiddle:" but am only hitting "e:"
I cannot get the wildcards to hit all the letters/characters from the
start of the paragragh upto the colon.

Thanks again
DeanH

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'm useless with wildcards, but you can probably get the information
you need at http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/UsingWildcards.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"DeanH" wrote in message
Word 2000 SP3

I would like to use "Find" to search for the text, any text, from
the start of the paragraph up to and including a character - such
as a colon (. And then be able to "Replace" the font properties
of the text and characters selected.
I have tried [A-Z, 0-9] combinations to no avail.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Dean