Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default How to hide XE field

Jan Kratochvil wrote:
During my modification of Word document I see the XE field - for

I don't know how to hide it.
It disturbs me as I modify the text formating.

Can you tell me how to hide it?

I tried Ctrl+Shift+8 and Alt+F9 but it does not influence on XE field.

Unlike most other fields, the XE field is automatically marked with Hidden
font format but doesn't collapse when Alt+F9 is pressed. To be "helpful",
Word turns on the display of all nonprinting characters whenever you mark an
index entry.

The Ctrl+Shift+8 shortcut should have worked, but there's another
possibility. Look at Tools Options View (in Word 2007, Office button
Word Options Display). If the "Hidden text" box is checked, that isn't
toggled by the shortcut or by the ¶ button (which affect only the "All"
box). Uncheck all of the boxes in that section.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman