Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Template locked for editing by another user error when using n

I think you will find http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
covers the salient points.

Kim wrote:
Hi Graham,

Thank you for the reply. Would you explain me more about the lock
file, where it gets created, and the file names etc, so that I can
explain my network service team regarding proper permissions?

Thank you,

-- mk

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The issue undoubtedly concerns the fact that when you create a
document in the network folder a lock file is created and when you
close the document the lock file is not being released, so when you
try to open the document again it appears to be opened by another
user. This suggests a permissions issue relating to your network
folder.

Kim wrote:
Hi Graham,

I have both read/write access to the network folder.

-- mk

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Do you have read and write access to the network folder, or just
read access?

Kim wrote:
Hi,

I have a Word 2007 template located in my network folder
(E:\templates\test.dotx). If I create a regular document from the
template and save it in my local drive (C:\abc.docx), next time
when I open abc.docx file I get the "test.dotx is locked for
editing by 'another user'" message and I can open abc.docx only
in read only or local copy etc modes.

The template file is not used by any other person, and I can
delete/rename the file after closing the Word program. If I try to
delete the template file while the error message is displayed, I
get the message " The file is used by Microsoft Office Word" and
it cannot be deleted.

I copied the template to my local drive and created a docx from
it, and the error did not occur. It looks like the problem is
related to using network folders but I was not able to find any
solutions from Google or MSDN. The problem happens on both dotx
and dotm. Cleaning out temp files and disabling the anti virus
program did not help.

Did anyone had this problem and found a solution, would you share
it with me? I appreciate any comments in advance.

-- mk