Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Impossible to post questions or replies

Actually, the Linux machine uses Mozilla Firefox, which was
immediately able to access my email account at yahoo, but not my
bookmarks (which are stored on the Verizon Yahoo email server), but an
attempt to access nttp://news.verizon.net produced nothing at all.

When I got DSL a bit more than two years ago, I was given two options:
a Microsoft interface, and a yahoo interface. I chose the latter, and
only after I was committed did I learn that they have no idea what
newsgroups are and do not offer access.

On dial-up from my old Mac, I had Netscape 3.0. Occasionally I had to
switch to a later version but it had a much more complicated interface
and much less "functionality."

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
So I guess you're saying that you don't have OE because you're running
Linux? That makes sense. Not to belabor the point, but if you *did* want to
use a newsreader, there are others, many available free. I just use OE
because I'm lazy. And while your ISP may not offer a news server, you don't
need that to connect to msnews, as you can set up an account to access it
directly.

Again, not trying to change your mind, just to provide information. For
people on dial-up (as I was for many years and a good bit of the world still
is), an offline newsreader is very helpful.

"grammatim" wrote in message
For a couple of weeks I've been using my new Linux-based portable,
because my PC is broken. I can access google just as easily here as
there. And that doesn't change the fact that my ISP (being yahoo
based) does not believe newsgroups are a useful thing: it thinks yahoo
groups are all one could possibly need.

On Jul 20, 11:46 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Well, my post wasn't intended as a lecture, and I didn't know it was a
suggestion that had been offered before. I guess those of us who are used
using NNTP have a hard time understanding how anyone can bear to use a
browser-based UI for NGs. Perhaps Google Groups is a lot more efficient
than
Microsoft Communities, but the latter is so unbearably slow that, even if
it
didn't require a login, I wouldn't use it unless there were absolutely no
other way to read NGs.

In any case, the reason I suggested OE was that your question pertained
your display name, which I'm seeing in OE as "grammatim." If you were
posting with OE (or some other NNTP newsreader), your display name would
be
whatever you wanted it to be.

"grammatim" wrote in message

I will not be lectured at _again_ for using google groups. I don't
know that there's anything I'd want to do that it doesn't do, and I
don't see what's "inefficient" about it.

On Jul 20, 6:03 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
I'm rather surprised, given how much you post, that you are using
Google
Groups at all. I should think you would find it more efficient to use
newsreader such as Outlook Express. If you did so, you could define a
signature for NG posts and set the display name as you choose.
Seehttp://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htmforinstructions if you're
interested.

"grammatim" wrote in message

In no other newsgroup is my email name (grammatim) given as my
poster
name; in all other newsgroups, my poster name is my real name, the
one
I sign in to google groups with on the unpredictable occasions when
it
demands that I do so.

I don't have a .sig on my postings, both because I don't like
posting
unnecessary lines and because I don't know how to.

On Jul 20, 1:05 pm, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
Usually when you're posting here in the Word group your messages do
not
contain a signature block at the end of your postings, as in
this case (below).

It's not uncommon for folks here to use an alias for their name,
and/or
email address. Are you asking about using the web interface
at Google group and on how to change this group to show your name,
or
for
the other groups to no longer show your name?

"grammatim" wrote in
I've no idea why google groups decided to identify me here by my
email
name instead of my signature; it doesn't do that for any other of
my
five newsgroups.
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)