Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Word 2007 Is Eating My RAM

Files are files when it comes to copying them. The content is irrelevant and
Word has nothing to do with it.
Vista may be at issue, but from your description it sounds like a hardware
problem related to your disc filing system.
Corrupt and cross linked files would certainly cause lock-ups. This can (for
example) be as a result of disconnection of a USB drive during a file
transfer operation especially if the USB drive is of a type that draws its
power from the USB port.

RichD wrote:
1. Word opens quickly in both normal startup and Safe Mode. That has
never been a problem.

2. I don't use NAV but rather Kaspersky.

3. When Word (both XP and 2007) transfers at only about 200 kbps, and
other data files like Pictures and Music transfer at about 19 mbps,
I'd say that is not a USB problem but rather a Word or Vista problem.

4. When the system runs out of memory transferring a mere 662 MB of
Word files (XP and 2007) but does not do so when transferring 3.2 GB
of Picture files, I'd say that is not a USB problem but rather a Word
or Vista problem.

5. When there is a four second lockup switching from any program to
Word (XP and 2007) but not among other programs, I'd say that is a
Word or Vista problem.

If anyone else has any comments, or has experience with similar
issues, I would appreciate your assistance.