That's good news, but kind of perverse. Styles define many settings,
including font, tab settings, and paragraph settings. But tabs aren't part
of paragraph formatting per se (that is, they're not set in the Format
Paragraph dialog), so it's no more reasonable for a change in Space
Before/After to affect tabs than for a change in font to do so.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
At least changing to italic, bold, underline, and a different font
size can be done without "locking" the tab stop.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Yes, and to further clarify, in addition to bolding TOC 1, I later

realized
I had added some Space Before. So it's possible that font formatting

alone
would not prevent the tab stop from being updated, but paragraph

formatting
would. Testing would be required to determine what changes, if any,

can be
made without affecting the "elasticity" of the style.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
Thank you for the insight. That certainly explains why, in my
experience, updating the TOC "sometimes" makes the right-aligned

tab
stop adjust to page margins!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Update: I have just had an experience on the basis of which I am
prepared to
offer a tentative analysis of this behavior. I had a document

with
1" left
and right margins and a TOC. I changed the L and R margins to

1.25".
The TOC
now extended half an inch into the right margin. I updated the
entire table,
and the tab setting in the TOC 2 and TOC 3 paragraphs was

updated.
They were
in their default format. In TOC 1, which I had modified (by

bolding
it--not
by moving the tab stop), the tab setting was not updated. So it
would appear
that *any* modification to the style will prevent the tab

setting
from being
updated.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
"Sometimes" isn't really reliable, is it? g I don't have

enough
experience
to be dogmatic about this, but my recollection is that it's

never
happened
for me, and I don't usually "bother" the automatic tab stop.

But I
certainly
won't question your experience, which is probably broader than
mine.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
In my experience, Word sometimes does this (unless of course

you
have
explicitly modified the tab stops). It could be a version

issue,
guess.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You'd think that would work, but IME Word never moves the

tab
stop
even
if
you have changed the margins.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
But note that it might be easier than modifying tab

stops.
First try
to update the TOC: Either right-click it and choose

"Update
field"
or
place the cursor inside it and press F9. Make sure that

you
select
update the entire table, if prompted.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
What exactly is the problem? If the page numbers don't
align
properly,
you can drag the tab stop to the desired location. It
should be
sufficient to do this once for each level (because the

TOC
styles
are
set to update automatically, by default).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kaycee96" wrote

in
message

I am having trouble changing the page orientation to
landscape
in
set TOC