Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Default Add-ins tab disappears after reopening a previously saved docx

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply, things got busy just before the end of the year...

I can't reproduce the problem, here. I did the following

1. Took an old template (from Word 95 days, actually) I use in Word 2003,
containing macros and toolbars.

2. Copied it to the Word 2007 Templates location (on a different machine)

3. Created a new document from it (that's in compatibility mode). Toolbar is
there; the macro runs.

4. Saved the document as a *.docm file. Closed it. Re-opened it.

The Add-ins tab is still there. The buttons on it still work.

My best guess would be that you may have an Add-in or something that's
overriding the template's interface with it's own XML. This could be an Add-in
that's triggered by DocumentOpen, for example. (I'm assuming you have checked
that the original template is still attached at the point where you're not
seeing the Add-ins tab.)

This is the scenario and steps to reproduce:

We have existing Word 2003 templates that have custom toolbar items assigned
to macros embedded in the template.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Create a new document off of either a .dot or .dotm template in Office
2007 compatibility mode that has a custom toolbar

2) At this point the newly created document should have the custom toolbar
under the Add-Ins tab

3) Save the document in .docm format still maintaining compatibility mode

4) At this point the newly created document should still have the custom
toolbar under the Add-Ins tab

5) Close the document

6) Reopen the document and the Add-Ins tab (along with the custom toolbar)
is no longer there. I can see the Add-Ins tab for a split second when
opening the document, but, it quickly disappears.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)